Skip to main content

Life In The U.S.A. #2

I started my American high school life last Monday.

The first few days at school are really bad. Well, maybe not that bad, but I felt so left out and helpless. My school is a overpopulated school. There are around 3,000 students and we all go to school at about the same time. There is no morning session or afternoon session like Malaysia. We do have 2 lunch session, but the cafeteria is still very crowded in both session. Some people go to choir room, some people just sit at the stairs, some people just sit around the school compound. You know what? Nobody knows I'm an exchange student until I clarify so. When I said I'm new, they thought I'm an American moved from another state to Vegas. When I told them I'm from Malaysia, they thought I moved from Malaysia to Vegas. But, still, nobody cares about exchange student LOL. This place is just so diverse that we have people all around the world moving here. I've met some students who migrated from Taiwan and Italy to America. It sounds really cool to me because I have no idea how hard it takes to settle down in a brand new country.

I really prefer our education system in Malaysia which we stay in the same class from the beginning of the semester until the end of the semester. We can have stronger bond with the entire class and we feel belonged. In American high school, it is really common that students from different grades stay in the same class. It is really hard to tell if somebody is a senior or a freshman. I'm a senior in school now, but people often ask me if I'm a sophomore or a freshman. I often ask people if they are seniors, but it turns out that they are juniors or even freshman. Furthermore, I join the school in the middle of the semester, I find it hard to blend in with the others since they already have their group of friends. I can count how many times I talked for the whole day at school. Anyway, I am still trying hard to take the initiative to talk to people and make new friends, even I know they will just see me as a hi-bye friend.(It really makes me day if somebody make the first move to say hi to me.)

However, there are some benefits from American education system too. There are a lot of elective courses that are very interesting such as make-up design, theater studies, video production and mixed glee club. I'm picking up mythology and folklore, ceramics, psychology and dance. I really enjoy those classes (especially when I have somebody to talk to in the class lol). The classes are more to generating ideas instead of memorizing facts. Students here are never afraid of voicing out their opinions. This is a value which I find pretty impressing.

Oh by the way, I've went to two basketball games in my school. I love the cheer-leading, I love the band, I love the dance crew, I love the students cheering for our school team. The Palo spirit is very strong. The student council organized a spirit week too: wear pajamas on Monday, green out on Tuesday, black out on Wednesday, school T-shirts on Thursday and lastly white out or neon on Friday for the blackout assembly. They are having a 'beauty pageant' show tomorrow night which is called Mr. Panther. It's really interesting and their performance (I saw their practice coincidentally) is absolutely entertaining.

By far, the best part of my stay is that I have an awesome host family. I feel homed and comfortable being around them. I am totally grateful and thankful for having them in my exchange journey.

That's all for now, gotta off to bed soon. Goodnight world.

Popular posts from this blog

Life as a Form 6 Student / STPM Candidate

Update @ 27/3/19:  Since Google+ comment has been turned down, I've posted another post, Should You Go for Form 6/STPM here . Feel free to ask or comment. More than glad to help! Back in 2016, I joined Form 6 without second thoughts because I didn't want to limit my options for the future (which is why I turned down a 100% scholarship for foundation in Xiamen University Malaysia) I didn't want to pay for A-Levels (I could only get partial scholarships) I wasn't sure what I wanted to do and I didn't want to choose a diploma yet I swear to God, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I was a straight A's student in SPM 2015 and yet I find STPM extremely challenging. If I say I worked 100% hard for my SPM, I definitely worked at least 800% harder for STPM. Like my friend once said, you won't know if you are really good in academics until you've come to STPM. 10A's in SPM is really nothing compared to 4.0 in STPM.  I took Pengajian

Life In The U.S.A. #8 - Close to The End

Counting down 9 days till I leave Vegas... Yes, I'm excited to go home and meet my beloved family and friends, but I'm really sad to leave my wonderful host family and my amazing friends. I still remember how I felt during my flight. I was nervous but super excited that meet my host family. I was thinking how should I call them and what I can say if things get awkward. And yay I arrived. I remember the first thing I saw when I arrived at the McCarran International Airport - slot machines. Dang. It's Vegas being Vegas. *laugh* (And guess what? There are slot machines in the pharmacies too! No idea why but it doesn't matter. It's Vegas. That explains it all.) I remember my host mum was looking smoking hot at the airport :P And we went to... (Let's just skip it. I swear I can tell you every single detail that happened on my first day here but I don't know how long I will take to finish it.) My exchange journey had been amazing. It's full of ups and do

Feminism

Back in the days where I was a total mess after a bad breakup, I worked hard to put up my brave front, shed no tears and face everyday with an aggressive attitude. I tried so hard just to tell myself that I'm fine being on my own and I do not need anybody else to complete my life. And I was called a feminist, not really in a good way. I felt truly insulted. I don't know, but it feels like feminist is somebody who is not lovable nor approachable. It feels like a feminist is equivalent of being alone and meant to be a virgin for the rest of her life. It took me years to realize that feminism is not that bad after all. In fact, it is something I should be proud of. I'm not going to talk in depth about the first and second waves of feminism in the history. I'm just going to talk about feminism in the present, where many people would assume that "it's just a bunch of females getting butthurt over some random shit". Recently, my class had been told som