Skip to main content

Koh Samui, Thailand

Sawadikap! Just got back from Koh Samui few days ago and I really had a blast there. It was fun, relaxing, and wild at the same time.

How to get there?
1. Direct flight to Koh Samui.
I flew to Koh Samui from Kuala Lumpur with Bangkok Airways. The flight was only 1 hour 30 minutes, but it costed me around RM790 (round trip). I did enjoy flying with Bangkok Airways tho. They offered 30kg luggage allowance per passenger and also free meals! (bonus: their food is delicious!)

2. Fly to Surat Thani, take a bus to the pier, and then get on a boat to Koh Samui.
The flight ticket is much more cheaper. However, it's very time consuming to travel all the way from the airport in Surat Thani to Koh Samui. It will take you approximately 7 hours. I'm not entirely sure about the details but you can look for more information on other websites.

How to get around on the island?
1. Rent a car or a motorbike
This may be the cheapest way to get around if you are traveling around the island. However, you will need to pay to park your vehicles. The roads there are quite narrow... so if you are not a good driver/rider, I wouldn't recommend you to do this.

2. Taxi
Saves you time but can be really fucking costly so please bargain, bargain and BARGAIN! I once wanted to go somewhere only 3km away and the taxi wanted to charge me 100 baht! Also there was this time I paid 250 baht to travel 13km. It's insane!!

3. Tuk tuk
BARGAIN hard and it can be the cheapest way to get around. Like let's say from Lamai to Chaweng it should only cost you around 50-100 baht per person but sometimes they might charge you 200 or even more... SO PLEASE BE WISE. It's kinda cute to ride on Tuk Tuk. However, they can be hard to find in quiet areas.

I only got to know about the "real" price that I should be paying after talking to a local who lived there for 20 years. I would have spent much more on transport if I didn't know about the "standard price"... Not even kidding, I spent around 1000 baht on transport on my first day there.

Best area to stay?
Depends on your interest... noisy night life? Chaweng for sure. Also you might save a lot from the transportation since it's like the center for other attractions.. However, the hotels there can be really pricey (also fancy).

Places to visit/things to do?
- Hin Ta & Hin Yai (the view is awesome!!!!)
- Na Muang Waterfall <3
- Ang Thong Marine National Park (1800 baht including snorkeling, kayaking, lunch, hiking and entrance fees)
- Ark Bar (didn't visit the place but I heard it's amazing)
- Green Mango (dance club)
- Walk around Chaweng market... remember, bargain!!
- Fishermen's Village, Bo Phut
- Big Buddha pier
- Lamai Sunday Night Market (which to be honest was a disappointment to me because I've seen too many night markets that are way better than this)
**There is this restaurant called Emporio Restaurant opened by an Italian around the night market.. The gnocchi taste delicious!!!!!!**
- don't forget to GET A MASSAGE!!!!!
Of course there are more... Google them up!!

p/s: I went to the Black Moon Party as it looked cool... Turns out it was a huge disappointment. The music was not enjoyable, the entrance fee was quite pricey (500 baht, not including any food or drinks), and most importantly the wine tasted horrible. Just visit any other club for some wild night life.. they are much better than the Black Moon Party.

Overall, it was a fun experience! Delicious food, beautiful nature, laid back lifestyle, wide range of entertainment, etc.. I would definitely come back and stay for a longer time if I have the chance to! Also, I got to know new people from different backgrounds even though I stayed there only for 4 days. Hah! The locals (and some of the drunk people) are very friendly.

Down side - you can't really shop there because most of the stuff are way too overpriced... unless you are rich or you are super good at bargaining. Eg, for a dress worth 400 baht or less, the owner might sell it at the price of 1000 baht or even more...
So, if you really wanna shop kau kau in Thailand, try Bangkok instead.

Time for picturessssss!

ANG THONG MARINE NATIONAL PARK



BIG BUDDHA PIER

FISHERMEN'S VILLAGE, BO PHUT



CHILL INN BAR, LAMAI

HIN TA & HIN YAI 
(see the rock shaped like a penis?)


*view from my AirBnB homestay*


SAMUI AIRPORT
h e a v e n o n e a r t h .


Feel free to message me if you wanna know more! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life as a Form 6 Student / STPM Candidate

Update @ 27/3/19:  Since Google+ comment has been turned down, I've posted another post, Should You Go for Form 6/STPM here . Feel free to ask or comment. More than glad to help! Back in 2016, I joined Form 6 without second thoughts because I didn't want to limit my options for the future (which is why I turned down a 100% scholarship for foundation in Xiamen University Malaysia) I didn't want to pay for A-Levels (I could only get partial scholarships) I wasn't sure what I wanted to do and I didn't want to choose a diploma yet I swear to God, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I was a straight A's student in SPM 2015 and yet I find STPM extremely challenging. If I say I worked 100% hard for my SPM, I definitely worked at least 800% harder for STPM. Like my friend once said, you won't know if you are really good in academics until you've come to STPM. 10A's in SPM is really nothing compared to 4.0 in STPM.  I took Pengajian

Life In The U.S.A. #8 - Close to The End

Counting down 9 days till I leave Vegas... Yes, I'm excited to go home and meet my beloved family and friends, but I'm really sad to leave my wonderful host family and my amazing friends. I still remember how I felt during my flight. I was nervous but super excited that meet my host family. I was thinking how should I call them and what I can say if things get awkward. And yay I arrived. I remember the first thing I saw when I arrived at the McCarran International Airport - slot machines. Dang. It's Vegas being Vegas. *laugh* (And guess what? There are slot machines in the pharmacies too! No idea why but it doesn't matter. It's Vegas. That explains it all.) I remember my host mum was looking smoking hot at the airport :P And we went to... (Let's just skip it. I swear I can tell you every single detail that happened on my first day here but I don't know how long I will take to finish it.) My exchange journey had been amazing. It's full of ups and do

Feminism

Back in the days where I was a total mess after a bad breakup, I worked hard to put up my brave front, shed no tears and face everyday with an aggressive attitude. I tried so hard just to tell myself that I'm fine being on my own and I do not need anybody else to complete my life. And I was called a feminist, not really in a good way. I felt truly insulted. I don't know, but it feels like feminist is somebody who is not lovable nor approachable. It feels like a feminist is equivalent of being alone and meant to be a virgin for the rest of her life. It took me years to realize that feminism is not that bad after all. In fact, it is something I should be proud of. I'm not going to talk in depth about the first and second waves of feminism in the history. I'm just going to talk about feminism in the present, where many people would assume that "it's just a bunch of females getting butthurt over some random shit". Recently, my class had been told som